5 Staging Tips That Ensure a Swift Sale
The numbers don’t lie. A well staged homes sell faster and for more money than their cluttered counterparts. The key is getting an early start on the process. By beginning the monumental task of clearing the clutter and doing a pre-pack now, you can reduce the stress of preparing for showings and make it easier to pack when your home sells.
1. Purge From Top to Bottom –Do a proper sort and purge, getting rid of outdated clothing, duplicate items and rarely used gadgets. To keep this task from turning into a source of serious frustration, tackle one room (or even one drawer) at a time.
2. Pack Up Everything But the Essentials –Start pre-packing your home, storing non-essentials or out-of-season gear in the garage or off-site. The idea is to give potential buyers a sense of space, which can’t be done if your home is overloaded with clutter.
3. Fix Glaring Problems –Remove out-of-style wallpaper or put a fresh coat of paint on the walls, replace broken light fixtures, update cabinet and drawer pulls, and refresh dated window treatments. These “simple fixes” make your home stand out from the competition.
4. Depersonalize — This can be a tough one…Remove family pictures and personal collections, and replace them with neutral artwork and eye-catching accessories. The idea is to give potential buyers a neutral canvas so they can picture their belongings in your home.
5. Go for Polished –Research the latest design trends and “stage your house” to match. Professional stagers recommend tailoring the design style to your target demographic. For example, if you’re in a family neighborhood, style the bedrooms for children, even if none live in your home.